Wednesday, April 2, 2008
conflict of interest? ya think?
aaaaahhhhh! It just makes me SOOOOOOO ANGRY that the news media and other "parenting" websites consistently use quotes from Paul Offit when the controversy of vaccines comes up. Does anyone know who Paul Offit is? Let me tell you. He holds the patent on the rotavirus vaccine. So, are you surprised when he tells you there's no connection between vaccines and autism (or ADD, ADHD, lowered immunity, etc) ? If parents started questioning vaccines might that mean they would take his shot off their list - thinking they'd rather deal with diarrhea for a few days than injecting aluminum and formaldehyde into their kids? I would and have! It just irks me that even CNN can't use someone without a conflict of interest in these stories. I don't want to hear one more thing from Paul Offit. Unless its that he finally concedes on his death bed that his "expert opinion" is really just money for his own pocketbook. Seriously, if I had a vaccine injured child, Mr. Offit would not like to run into me in a dark alley - or a brightly lit alley for that matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Julie,
Are you not giving Braelyn any vaccinations? I understand your point, but you have to admit how so many fewer kids die of these diseases that used to kill thousands....
Heather,
Many of these diseases were commmon childhood diseases which were rarely fatal. (like measles and mumps). Also with the MMR, the statistics of outbreak had rapidly declined before the vaccine was even introduced. Others were more of a concern when proper sanitation systems were not in place. Some vaccines are trickier - such as the Dtap vaccine for us. I'm very wary of the vaccine, but very frightful of pertussis as well since there are still outbreaks in the area. Its a decision I wish I didn't have to make. But until the CDC makes our vaccines safer, every parent will have to consider the risk / benefit of both.
I think the only vaccine to give mammoth credit to is the polio vaccine. Which, no, I am not giving Braelyn b/c it is irradicated (yes, due to the vaccine). So unless we travel somewhere that there are still pockets of polio, I do not plan on giving it to her -at least not at this age. My doctor did tell me that they are about to remove polio from the CDC's recommended schedule since it is no longer a problem in the US. They will probably put it on the travelers schedule. They actually give the dead virus now instead of the live virus because of the irradication of the disease.
Its also important to realize that no vaccine is 100% effective. Most children who come down with whooping cough or chicken pox have been vaccinated for the disease. Also, with naturally acquiring the illness, as in varicella or pertussis, one is given lifelong immunity. No so with vaccinations. Did you know some anti-vax parents actually have "chicken pox parties" so that their kids will naturally aquire the virus and get it over with. Even to me that sounds crazy, but I guess it makes sense.
I guess I would also give credit to the Hib vaccine. I think it greatly reduced the incidence of meningitis in babies.
Though I am not an expert, I have done a lot of research and could elaborate on end about this issue. However,
my main problem is the ingredients in vaccines and the schedule in which they are given. I have a problem with the neurotoxins and additives in the vaccines. I also have problems with the mandatory Hepatitis B vaccine given to newborns when the mother is not infected. I think the CDC is full of BS where vaccines are considered. I think they know full and well that they have poisoned many children with mercury and aluminum resulting in the symptoms of autism (as well as other problems). They will never admit this though. The studies they've done have involved people who have conflicts of interest - such as Paul Offit - and others who are being paid by pharmaceutical companies. With the CDC funding its own studies, we are asking them to be their own watchdog. It's like asking a murderer to be his own prosecutor. Dr. Andrew Wakefield is someone to look at. He was basically fired after his research established a link between thimerosal (the mercury perservative) and autism. After the study came out, he was fired from his job and lost all funding for his research. I don't think its because he was wrong. I think its b/c he was right.
I think we can contribute many neurological disorders and autoimmune problems to injecting our children with these chemicals when they have not had the proper time to build a strong immune system - particulary the theory of the myelin sheath coating of nerve cells being complete - a process which is not finished until the age of 3. (or later some science indicates). One thing I find interesting is the FDA guidelines for aluminum in an injectable solution. If you go into the hospital, the contents of your IV cannot contain more than 25 mcg of aluminum. Yet, for a 2 month old baby, one Dtap shot can contain up to 540 mcg of aluminum. To me, that is a complete contradiction.
Each parent does what they think is best for their children. I do not judge what others do. At least I don't mean to sound that way. I know my opinion is not the most popular one. Though some would actually judge me for vaccinating at all. I just tend to be very passionate about the issue and elaborate on my blog. I do think its important for parents to at least research vaccines and make the best decision for their family. I don't think anyone should put blind trust in the government or their doctor. For us, we're delaying vaccines and selectively vaccinating. We're lucky that Braelyn has been healthy so far. This doesn't rule out that she's going to get an ear infection, ADD, ADHD, or even autism. But I feel that I've done what I can to protect her as much as is within my power.
Good job, Julie! Keep your head high. I'm with you on this. I'd like to meet up with this guy in an ally also! No shots for my kid EVER!!!
Its always about the money isn't it? Sadly.
Your post cracked me up! So true...
Post a Comment