Belated Earth Day Post
So, I've been making a transition over the last 18 months or so to go green and I've embraced a more holistic way of thinking and living. However, there is so much more I need to do! Especially when it comes to recycling and reducing my use of things that aren't biodegradable. I do better with the holistic / health part than I do with the "saving the environment" part
So, here are some of the things I already do:
1. I've begun to use my Sprouts reusable grocery bags.
2. Braelyn's lotions, shampoos, etc. are all paraben, phthalate, SLS free and most of mine are too. Jay likes Tresemme' which is not green, but I'm working on him.
3. Braelyn's bottles and sippy cups don't leach BPA
4. Jay and I ride to work together (thanks to the new "backway" I found a couple of weeks ago that is super quick-we also avoid paying as many tolls!)
5. Eat organic as much as I can afford to. Braelyn's diet is totally organic, but its easier to manage her diet since she only eats a few ounces a day! I also try to get most of my produce at Sprouts that supports local farmers. I might also look into becoming part of a produce coop.
6. We use non-toxic cleaners; baking soda & vinegar have become my new best friends; We also use non-toxic, earth friendly laundry detergent
7. We use the energy saving light bulbs (compact fluorescent bulbs)
8. We turn off lights and unplug things
9. I don't use artificial fragrance anymore. I wear perfume on occasion. I mostly started this b/c I don't like Braelyn's face up against someone's cologne. I just knew its not good for her. Also, no candles in my house anymore unless they're soy and burn clean.
10. no pesticides inside our home. We still get the outside sprayed, but I can't deal with spiders and scorpions, okay? So, let the outside be toxic.
11. We don't buy paper towels, paper napkins, or paper plates. I do use plasticware at work and that's something I need to work on. For some reason I just hate handwashing silverware!
12. I'm in the process of getting rid of the plastics in my home - well, the ones that I can afford to get rid of. I started with getting rid of any plastics with the symbol 3,6, or 7. These are the most dangerous. Slowly I'd like to replace my plastic cutting boards, measuring cups, and utensils.
I try to avoid plastic in Braelyn's toys. Honestly, though, unless you're really wealthy, its impossible to afford everything organic. I mean, they have organic sheets, organic cribs, etc. So I do what I can. She has wooden teethers or organic cotton ones. When I do buy plastic toys I make sure they are PVC free. I also shop for gently used toys at consignment shops, therefore reusing - and nice to my budget!
Now, here are the things I really need to work on :
1. RECYCLING CONSISTENTLY! I go back and forth. Some weeks I'm really good about it, other weeks I don't even think about it.
2. Look into a water filtration service for our home that uses reverse osmosis. This would save us having to buy bottled water for Braelyn and we would be assured of our water quality. There is a service called Aqueous Water Solutions that I'm going to look into.
3. Buy a Sigg. I drink way too much bottled water at work and I also refill it at work which is not good. Plastic bottles that are #1 plastics are for one time use only. So once you refill them, chemicals can begin to release from the inside. So, I need to get me a Sigg!
4. Demand Jay use low VOC or non VOC paint next time he paints. You have to make sure you get a good quality brand, though. He bought some a few months ago to repaint a door and you could scratch it off.
5. Buy diapers that are more eco-friendly like Seventh Generation. I buy these every now and then, but they're not at your local CVS, Walmart, or Target, so we typically end up getting the store brand or Pampers. I know going cloth diapering is best (although read this article for another point of view) but I just can't do cloth diapers. I know the washer cleans them, but its just something about having any remnant of poop in my washer that bothers me. So, I hope to reach middle ground on this issue and start getting Seventh Generation all the time instead of here and there.
6. Composting. Oprah had a good segment on this yesterday. (I love Tivo) I'm really going to leave this one up to Jay, though. I'm not good at the garbage, soil, worm thing.
7. Begin replacing my makeup with friendlier, non-toxic products. (Using EWG's cosmetic database as a source) So much of this has to be done gradually for money reasons! But I need to begin buying nail polish without toluene, mascara without mercury, etc. etc. I'm great about the paraben free lotions and SLS free toothpastes and shampoos, but makeup I've not gotten to yet.
8. Use deodorant without aluminum. I have some, but it doesn't work well at ALL!! So, I'm going to do a little research to see which brands are the best and try again.
So, those are the things I do and the things I need to do.
Happy (belated) Earth Day.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Hey, for recycling...
We have 2 trash cans, side by side.
One is for waste and the other is for plastics, paper and glass. It makes it easy when you have an option at the trash can.
Denton has a recycling program in place so we have a city provided recycling bin. Does Frisco have that? with more and more building getting LEED certified (going green) cities are implementing better recycling programs to help recycle contruction waste. It helps with house hold waste too. :)
Way to use the grocery bags! We use ours at Kroger.
We bought these larger bins at Ikea and use them for recycling. One is paper and the other is plastics, aluminum, and glass. This makes it easier for recycling.
We've gotten rid of nearly all of our plastic storage containers and replaced them with Pyrex dishes.
I feel you on the diaper issue. We love the G diapers and use Pampers at night. I had a sample of the seventh generation diapers and they were too rough on Mari's skin.
Also, point Jay in this direction for composting: http://www.naturemill.com/ I think we'll be getting one soon.
I think we are going to look into getting a different dryer and washer system that are more efficient than what we currently have too.
Great post!
I love doing green stuff. I'm still working on a ton of stuff also. I did a post on some stuff I do, but I didn't list everything. Let's exchange ideas. For deoderant, try Nature's Gate Organics, we use the fruit blend and Jason likes it and so do I.
hey girl, i found your blog through heidi's. love this post! steve and i trying to be more aware and kinder to our environment. i really appreciate this post and am going to bookmark it for reference of other things we can do to help.
btw, your little girl is absolutely precious!!
Hey, Chris and I are heading in the same direction with all the things you posted. Burleson has started recycling and it just kind of jump started out thinking on being more "Green"!! Thanks for the post....great ideas!
On the makeup thing: Ulta 3 stores had a section in there about organic makeup, products, what to look for in a natural make-up, etc. This was about 2 months ago when i was in there with my mom & saw the display. I was pretty proud of Ulta 3!
...so, if you're working on the makeup stuff, you might try a local Ulta 3 shop.
:)
Post a Comment