Finally - stores are starting to ban BPA in bottles and other feeding products. Babies-R-Us plans to phase the products out by the end of the year. Walmart says they will no longer have BPA feeding products by early 2009. While the American Chemistry Council still says bisphenol-a is safe, its nice to know parents have made a difference as consumers and that the stores are paying attention. I noticed the other day that Dr.Brown's is making glass bottles now. It seems like every parent uses Dr.Browns. I am sure the company began losing enough customers that they decided they must provide an alternative to their BPA-leaching bottles. (Will Avent and Playtex be next?) I say if something is controversial and there is the ability to change the product and ensure total safety, then why not change it?!
Its like parabens. There is one side that says they are bad, bad, bad. The FDA says 'no need to worry right now, they're fine". Well, can I find beauty products without parabens??? Are they on they market? Okay, then, I'll use those. Mom always said "better safe than sorry".
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Good job, Julie! It's funny that you did a blog on this bc I am in the process of getting rid of ALL my plastic in my house. I'm going to do it in phases, so it doesn't totally kill the pocketbook. I ordered all new sippys for Hunter and new sports bottle for J and I. Check out www.kleankanteen.com and that's what I ordered. They are kinda expensive, so I shopped around and got some on amazon.com...let me know what you think. Also, don't you think it's sad that pretty much the only safe thing to eat and drink out of is glass?
I know - it is so difficult to get rid of plastic! It's everywhere. The good thing is that there is "safer" plastic available. You want to avoid anything with the numbers 3,6,and 7. (and companies are NOT required to put the number on their products) Plastics with the number 1 is okay - for one time use. 2 and 4 are okay as well.
Right now Braelyn's sippy cups are "safe plastics". Take & Toss brand is a safer plastic and very inexpensive (at Target and Walmart) She also has a Born Free sippy cup. Kleen Kanteen and Siggs are really good too. I'm getting a Sigg for myself when we get our stimulus check next week. (I get a little shopping money :)
I bought the book - Gorgeously Green - and I am LOVING it. The lady who was on Oprah- Sophie Uliano- wrote the book and its really good and informative.
I'm making the slow, gradual changes, too. I'm going to try and replace one thing each week with a safer alternative.
Oh, don't you just love the good ol' FDA???
What's a stimulus check?
Bush's stimulus checks that are going out to "stimulate" the economy...If you make above a certain amount you won't get one.
However, I think many people will be smart and use most of the money for groceries and gas. We're putting most in savings and just using a little for shopping. Which I feel is justified since I haven't been clothes shopping since BEFORE I was pregnant!
Oh duh, didn't know that it was called that. You can tell I'm not the one who keeps up w/the finances in the family. I thought it was something related to being green,LOL!
another tidbit on bpa -
Jay said there was a two page spread about it in the Sunday paper. I haven't had time to read it yet.
However, I wanted to mention that I went to Babies R Us yesterday to get some Born Free level 3 nipples (faster flow) for Braelyn's bottles...they were TOTALLY OUT of EVERYTHING BORN FREE. Please note that up until 5 months ago they didn't even CARRY Born Free bottles in their stores. I had to order all mine online. Its good to see changes. :)
I ended up going across the street to Whole Foods (my demon) and got the level 3's along with some YoBaby yogurt and a $6.99 sandwich. Seriously, that place is TOO expensive!
Post a Comment