Thursday, September 25, 2008

miss independent

We've been cosleeping / shared sleeping with Braelyn since she was born. For the past few months either Jay or I will lay down with her until she falls asleep and then we'll put her in her mini-crib next to my side of the bed. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, I can often times just put her in bed with me and she'll go back to sleep.
Lately, though, she's been fighting bed time. It will take 30 minutes for her to go to sleep and she'll cry b/c I hold her down so she can't crawl around all over the bed. So, Jay tried something new on Saturday. He put her in the mini-crib, left the closet light on, kissed her goodnight, turned on soft lullaby music, gave her her blankie and left the room. She said "Daddy" a couple of times and made a few fussing sounds, but then she went to sleep. I'm not a believer of "crying it out" and couldn't have handled that. But she just talked herself to sleep. It was amazing! We've been putting her to bed this way all week. Now she doesn't even fuss once. She seems to prefer going to sleep on her own. I wanted to hold her close and rock her last night, but she got upset until I placed her in her own bed and gave her that blankie. I just thought we'd have this huge transition when it came time for her to go to bed on her own. I didn't expect she would do it this early or this agreeably. Our next step is to move her to her own room. I love having her right next to me, but she is outgrowing her mini-crib. She needs more stretching space. Hopefully she adapts to the big girl crib just as well as she has her new bedtime ritual. Oh, and the other thing is - she's been sleeping so great lately. She'll sleep from 8:15 until 7:30......yea!

4 comments:

Mrs. Bianca said...

Awww...congratulations and big hugs. You get a really great night sleep, but you miss having them there, huh?

Mari doesn't like sleeping with us, although she'll tolerate it. She really enjoys her crib and being in her own room. Lately, she'll want to go to sleep, lay her head down and start "singing" and rocking herself, and BAM she's out.

I bought this ornamental tea light holder ages ago. I hung it just over her crib, but not directly over it. Anyway, I'll turn on the electronic tea light inside of it and talk to her about fairies. I know she has no idea what I'm talking about, but I know she loves that flicker.

Good luck with the transition to the other room!

Anonymous said...

that is awesome! ryan slept through the night the first time when he was 14 months old :( I would have to nurse him back to sleep...I couldn't handle the letting him scream himself back to sleep...

Honeyed Hashette said...

YAY! She is such a good girl! Are you proud or sad (or maybe a little of both)?

The Potts Family said...

Jannna -
Well, we haven't put her in the crib yet like we had planned to over the weekend. Last night she was running fever and so she slept with me. I know I'll be sad when she's in her own room, but Jay won't let me move the crib into our room. HA! Plus, I'll be able to read again in bed and wind down like I used to, or have a big bubble bath without worrying the water running will wake her up.
We have talked about making a door from our bathroom into her room so I can get to her quicker. And, surprisingly this was not my idea. Sounds a little neurotic, so you'd have thought it came from my mind. No, Jay and his mom offered up this idea. Maybe Jay is just itching to build something. Who knows?
But, apart from the little bit of sadness, I am proud that she can self soothe. (with the help of her blankie) Its cute when I hear her talking herself to sleep. I'm especially proud (relieved) that there was no difficult transition. I'm very surprised by that.

Bianca - I love that you talk to Mari about fairies! I can imagine with your creativity they are spectacular stories!