Tuesday, July 8, 2008

food ramblings

I just ate 2 kiwis and a plum for my mid afternoon snack (is that too much?) and thought, why not post about some of my latest greatest favorite food finds? (b/c i like to bore everyone)
I'm always on the lookout for yummy new foods and I'm also always on a food kick of some kind.
So, my current food "kicks" are SMORES (this started last night), plums, pinot grigio, mushrooms sauteed in balsamic vinegar, and organic spaghettios.

SMORES....it had been a while since I'd been camping, but my gas stove is just as well as a campfire, without the smoke and bugs and peeing in the woods. I laughed when the directions on the graham cracker box said to use one hershey rectangle for each smore. Are you kidding me? Everyone knows you use two. Or, if you're me, then sometimes 3. Anyways, I loved my smores last night. It was the perfect after dinner dessert to my omelet that I made. (btw, my omelets always turn into scrambled eggs with vegetables and cheese mixed in. Can't make an omelet to save my life)

Pinot Grigio. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just the $5 bottle at Sprouts - the big bottle. I love Sprouts. I bought a bottle of Shiraz and a bottle of Pinot for $5 each. I mean, you can't beat it and it tastes just like my $11 bottle of Ecco Domiani.

Mushrooms sauteed in balsamic vinegar. So good. So healthy. Add some fresh basil, tomatoes, zucchini, purple onion, asparagus. Eat it over whole wheat noodles. Yum. Love it.

Finally, on my current kicks are the Organic Spaghettios. I am oh so happy someone named Annie decided to create Organic junk food. The organic mac and cheese is so good. Its parmesan cheese and the noodles look like peace signs. I top it with fresh grated parmesan. oh my goodness. so good. Its better than fettucine alfredo, and lots less fat. Then I love the Bernie-O's and the cheesy ravioli. They also have healthier versions of cheeze-its called cheddar bunnies. And, a bonus, they sell Annie's foods at Target now. Yippee.

My new found favorite food is Kashi's "Truly Vanilla" instant cereal. There is 7g of fiber in one serving and whole flax seeds in the mix of other whole grains. Its easy to make at work and a lot healthier than a McSkillet Burrito - which I unashamedly love as well.

Finally, I love love love shopping at Sprouts. They have the best prices and fabulous specials every week. If there is a Sprouts near you, at least get your meat, eggs, and produce there. Its cheaper than the grocery store and they have a much healthier selection too. I still love my Whole Foods, but I've had to keep myself from getting near one because I always spend too much. Seriously, did you know you can spend $15 on the salad bar- just on food for one person? Um hum. My point exactly. I'm not quite in that income bracket to be shopping at Whole Foods all the time.

If you've read this entire post, then I apologize for the engulfing sense of boredom that must be plaguing you now. I'll toast you tonight with my Pinot Grigio and spaghettios.

3 comments:

Mrs. Bianca said...

Oooooh...I like the idea of adding all of the extras to the 'shrooms, then putting it all on top of pasta. BRILLIANT!

Now I'm hungry!

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

I'm thrilled that you LOVE Sprouts!! Much more economical, huh? Like I said, Whole Foods is nice but its the Neiman Marcus of the natural grocery stores... that's just not in our budget. Thankfully there's Sprouts! Oh, and you can find me there almost every Wednesday morning, double-ad day baby!

Honeyed Hashette said...

You are cracking me up.
I will have to try the organic mac and cheese.
I wish we had a sprouts or Whole Foods or SOMETHING closer to us. All we have are Kroger and Albertsons. WHAAAAA!