Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Would you like a flu shot with that?

Seriously. Flu shots are becoming as available as french fries offered at a drive thru. CVS, Walgreens, Tom Thumb, and just about every other store is offering the flu shot. I roll my eyes every single time I see a sign posted - so I've got quite the headache.

What gets me about these shots is that they are freely given out and eagerly accepted by the general public with very little knowledge about the shot, how its developed, the ingredients, and the side effects. Then, there's also the high chance the shot will be completely ineffective anyway. See, the flu shot is only as good as the educated guesses of a group of vaccine researchers across the globe. They get together (in February) and try to predict which flu viruses will be most prevalent in the fall and winter of the following year. Their three top choices are put into the vaccine. Then the CDC claims that the vaccine will be 70-90% effective for those three strains. (and since the CDC has very little credibility in my opinion, I would interpret those statistics to be exaggerated...I mean, we've got to support pharm co's, right?) Okay, well no big deal, might as well get the shot in case the vaccine gurus are right this year. No harm done. Or is there? Lets look at what is in the shot.
That is where I draw the line and trust my body to fight influenza on its own should I contract it. The biggest concern of ingredients is thimerosal, a preservative that is 49% mercury - a known neurotoxin. Everyone should listen up here, but especially parents!! If you want your kiddo to get the shot despite its high failure rate as far as efficacy goes, at least make sure you are giving your kid a shot that is mercury free. Unfortunately, with the 1998 mandate that mercury be removed from all "routinely recommended childhood vaccinations" the flu shot did not make it on this list.

"Thimerosal has been removed from or reduced to trace amounts in all vaccines routinely recommended for children 6 years of age and younger, with the exception of inactivated influenza vaccine" (FDA)


If mercury is the only ingredient you're worried about, mercury free flu shots ARE available! Ask to see the packaging, the vaccine insert. If you see thimerosal anywhere on the label, think twice about giving this shot to a child whose neurological system is still developing. You can request your pediatrician to order a thimerosal free vaccine or you can find a Dr. (like mine) who carries mercury free influenza vaccines. A neurotoxin is a neurotoxin is a neurotoxin. for everyone. But is especially more damaging to a child. Smaller body, myelin sheath development, immature immune system....this is a whole other issue of why children are more susceptible to the toxins in vaccines. And, yes, if you're getting a flu shot and you're pregnant, you can bet the fetus is being exposed to mercury as well. I love how they advise pregnant women to not eat fish containing high levels of mercury, but then adamantly encourage these women to get flu shots with mercury containing thimerosal! And, thimerosal is not the only substance to be concerned about. There's also aluminum (a heavy metal neurotoxin, formaldeyhyde, egg proteins & gelatin (common allergens)

Here is a list on the CDC's website of vaccines and their ingredients. If you choose to get a shot this year, at least familiarize yourself with the brands that are thimerosal free. (though shots can contain up to.5 mcg of thimerosal but are not required to list this in their ingredients b/c it is considered a trace amount)

I have to admit, last year I was basically berated by others until I got the flu shot. Shots were provided at our office. So I rolled up my sleeve and let them inject mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde, and gelatin. I did it simply to not be held accountable if Braelyn did get sick with the flu. In no way was I under the impression I would actually be protected from the flu. I ended up getting the flu, actually. And, no, I don't think having the flu shot helped me recover more quickly. I think homeopathic oscillococconium did! This year if I contract the flu, I'll take oscillo and drink fluids. I'm even more educated on the dangers and downfalls of vaccines now than I was last year. I also don't have a 2 month old baby anymore. She's not immuno-compromised in any way so if she gets the flu then I have faith her little body will conquer it by the way God designed it to. Her immune system will fight the virus naturally.

Here are some more links on the flu shot :

http://www.909shot.com/Diseases/Influenza.htm


You can read Amy's informative post too. She doesn't go off on tangents like me. :)

http://amygim.blogspot.com/2007/10/flu-sht-anyone.html

from Think Twice

http://www.thinktwice.com/flu_show.htm

Vaccine Inserts from the Manufacturer:
http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm

General Influenza Vaccine Info:

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/cc-flu.htm

Sherry Tenpenny's take
http://sayingnotovaccines.blogspot.com/2007/10/flu-shot-proven-to-be-ineffectiveagain.html

How Effective is the Flu Vaccine?
http://www.medicalconsumers.org/pages/FluVaccineisRarelyEffective.htmll

And one from my fave, Barbara Loe:
http://vaccineawakening.blogspot.com/2008/10/forced-flu-vaccination-and-freedom.html

Finally, I'm not anti-vaccine. I'm anti-toxin, PRO knowledge, PRO choice on the issue. I voluntarily vaccinated Braelyn for Hib b/c I felt it important and that the benefits of the shot outweighed the risk of the illness- and she will receive others in her lifetime - like tetanus - at an age where I feel is appropriate and safe. Just don't blindly trust what a Doctor, a friend, even me - a hippie who blogs - tell you. Value your health enough to ask answers and make an informed choice.

10 comments:

Mrs. Bianca said...

They recommended to me that Mari get a 2nd dose, since they gave her a half dose. A HALF DOSE!!! She's not half my size. She MIGHT be a quarter my size. Either way, I'm not getting her the other part. She's been exposed enough and it wasn't a pleasant experience for either of us. And I wish I would've known about Thimerosol. I want to say that I remember something like that was in it. Boooo!!!

The Potts Family said...

I don't know much about the dosage, I'm assuming half your dose is equivalent to a pediatric dosage. With the vaccines I get Braelyn in the future, I'm going to have them administered in quarters or halves of the pediatric dose. This will mean more visits and more copays, but will be safer I feel. Its just one more option where vaccines are concerned - you can give smaller doses of each shot.

Alison said...

I have gotten only one flu shot in my life (freshman year of college), and have never had the flu. At my last office, one of the surgeons refused it as well. We were the only 2 not to get it, and there was some ridicule. I think most average adults can do without it. I think in for some groups, like the elderly, the vaccine can be of benefit. In that case, a "simple" flu virus can compromise a person's immune system to the point that they contract other life-threatening illnesses like pneumonia, etc. So, sometimes, I think the benefits can outweigh the risks.

The Potts Family said...

Yes, people who are immuno-compromised (like the elderly) may decide the shot is worth the risk in proportion to the potential complications of the flu. IF the shot is for the specific strain of influenza they contract and IF it is effective. But to an elderly person who has had no previous reactions to a flu vaccine it would make sense to get the shot.

I don't believe children should fall into this category though. In my opinion, a healthy, growing child is not immuno-compromised, but has a healthy developing immune system. Vaccines actually hinder the child's natural ability to fight infection by bombarding an immune system that is developing the way it should with virus after virus in a short period of time. (which could be a cause of the high rise in the autoimmune diseases, allergies, recurrent ear infections,asthma, etc. we see in children today.)I think if we could change what is in the shots and the schedule in which they are given, we wouldn't be seeing these conditions skyrocket. I do believe there are other contributing factors within our environment and our diets, but in my opinion vaccines at the age and frequency in which they are given is the star player. As well as the ingredients.

Back to elderly and flu shots - there is a study that was done that questions the decrease in mortality rates that the CDC and vaccine manufacturers like to claim regarding the elderly and flu vaccines.

http://www.drbriffa.com/blog/2008/09/08/does-the-flu-vaccine-really-reduce-risk-of-death-in-the-elderly/

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/119947.php

The Potts Family said...

Allison -
What was the surgeon's reason for not getting the shot?

Alison said...

I think he just thought it wasn't worth it. Probably because of the reality of so many strains out there, and knowing that not all of them would be covered by the vaccine. And like me, he hadn't been getting the shots...or the flu. He was more like me...just deal with it if you get...it will happen if it happens.

Amy said...

Hi there - I'm Janna's friend...she sent me over here after a discussion we had last night regarding vaccines. I'm pretty much on board with you. My 7 year old was loaded up with the full-blown mercury-laden shots because I didn't know any better. But for the grace of God, he's perfect, smart and healthy. I gave my youngest all shots up tot 12 months. I started working with a man with 3 autistic daughters and I started to freak out. At my 2 year olds 12 mo visit, we were given MMR (scary) and offered the flu shot. I refused the flu shot because I didn't want to mix 2 live virus shots. Dangerous! He ended up getting the flu that year, and he was fine - it was just a rough week. The oldest and I didn't get it. I will say his immune system was shot after the flu and he continued to get sick month after month with colds. At his 18mo visit, they brought in the shots and I refused them because he had been too sick last winter. I got a lecture from my doctor - and I told him I wasn't refusing, I was postponing to August at his 2 yr old visit. In August, he had a wicked cold, so I postponed again. I did finally get them last month before starting him in 2-day a week daycare. We just lacked HepA and DTAP. He puts everything in his mouth still...these were important to me. I watched him like a hawk for 3 weeks and he's fine - no fever, no reaction. Thank God. I refused the chicken pox vaccine because really, do we need that?? Preston got that shot and still got the chicken pox.

In the middle of all that - the baby was diagnosed with nut and egg allergy, so I'll never have to argue the flu shot again. And the last flu shot I received gave me a huge whelp on my arm. Yikes. We're going to use hand-washing and vitamin C for our "flu shot".

That was a long story - but I did want you to know that you are not alone. It's your child, not the doctor's child. My former boss's wife sent me this link. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but it for vaccine safety in Texas.

http://www.vaccineinfo.net/index.shtml

Take care -your daughter is adorable and Janna was singing your praises when we spoke last night.

Amy

The Potts Family said...

Amy –

Thanks for your encouraging comment!

I applaud you for taking more of an active role than most parents where shots are concerned. Unfortunately, we can't trust doctors and government agencies to always seek the best for our children. I think a lot of times its not that the Doctor is knowingly putting your child at risk, but more a result of their lack of knowledge on the issue as well. I don’t think questioning the CDC is something they’re taught in medical school. :) You did the right thing by refusing shots when your child was sick. The immune system was handing enough on its own without being bombarded by other viruses to fight off.

I agree with you on the varicella vaccine (chicken pox). I would much rather Braelyn acquire natural immunity from chicken pox than from the vaccine. Also, the efficacy of the varicella vaccine is poor. So, stay home with your kiddo, put them in oatmeal baths, and wait it out. However, chicken pox is pretty bad to contract at an older age, so sometimes parents will reconsider the vaccine if their children haven’t had the chicken pox by say 10. Or you could always attend a chicken pox party! Also, did you know that one of the side effects of the varicella shot is a
“mild rash, up to a month after vaccination (1 person out of 20, or less). It is possible for these people to infect other members of their household, but this is extremely rare”. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-varicella.pdf

Does that sound anything like the chicken pox vaccine giving someone chicken pox? The same thing can happen with the measles shot.

I’m still considering the Dtap. It’s the one I’ve been on the fence about. The others I feel confident in my decision to either wait or eliminate from the schedule. My feelings about the Dtap are always back and forth. I'll eventually do tetanus. Diphtheria is for the most part eradicated. But, the pertussis component to the shot is what many adverse reactions have been contributed to.

Don’t you just love Janna? I mean, there is just no sweeter person!

Take Care!
Julie

Amy said...

I did dtap because I was under the impression (from pretty poor research, I must admit) that tetanus alone is still loaded with mercury. I could be wrong. My thought was - Bergen had never had a negative reaction to a shot. No fever, cried for 20 seconds, all was fine. However, he's a boy - he plays in the garage. He puts rusty crap in his mouth all the time. So there's the tetanus - it was pretty important to him. He also had mild RSV as a baby, and whooping cough could have been bad for him. I prayed hard about it, as did my husband and we finally felt ok about it and I just had to trust God that he'd be okay. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about this again until he's 4. Ugh.

I'm so thankful that I have Janna. What an amazing person!

Take care and Happy Halloween -
Amy

The Potts Family said...

Amy,
You are probably right. I bet there is still mercury in the Td shot. (Tetanus is always with diphtheria; anytime we get a tetanus shot we get the diphtheria component as well) I wish they would have separate shots for each of those like they do for MMR.
I'm considering the Dtap sometime before it gets cold. I still just don't know. Its like I keep waiting until she gets a little older.
Our Pediatrician - who is awesome, very holistic, etc- hasn't seen any severe reactions to the Dtap shot with her patients. There are still outbreaks in the area, so it concerns me. I need to pray more about it and ask for confidence and direction in whatever decision I make. I know there are things I'm doing to make it safer if I get her the shot. Like doing quarter or half doses and not combining it with any other shots.

Hope you had a great Halloween. I've got to post pictures of my little ballerina soon.