
I'm not really "up" on movies. Haven't been for a long time now. I just don't make it a priority to go to the theater or blockbuster on a regular basis. So, for the most part, movies that I see are 3 years old that I come across on HBO or Cinemax and decide to tivo for future viewings. I've had Bobby recorded for about two months now and was in the movie watching mood last night. It was a great movie. I LOVED it. There was this spirit about the movie that really made you feel like you were a part of that era. Since I've always felt culturally misplaced, like I should have grown up in the 60's and 70's, this was a film that really grabbed my interest. Anything to do with the Kennedy family is also intriguing to me. I'm no history buff or philosopher either, but I agree with Emilio Estevez (writer & director) when he says the following:
"I believe the death of Bobby Kennedy was in many ways the death of decency in America. I think it was the death of manners and formalities, the death of poetry. I think it was the death of a dream." The assassination of Robert Kennedy, following the murders of his brother President John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., was "the last straw," he said, "and we unraveled, culturally, at that point and went into a free fall. And I don't think we've completely put the pieces back together again."
It seems that that generation was the last generation that really could make a difference, still loved their country, and had HOPE! Maybe I'm just the pessimist here. I know there were lobbyists back then (though not nearly as many), and there were people in power for the popularity and money and control. But today, that's ALL I see. People in politics who stand for everything. Which, in my opinion, means they stand for nothing. Why in today's society must we please everyone? Why can't we have political figures who care so much to make a difference and believe so strongly in their causes, that offending other viewpoints would be part of the deal? And for goodness sake - why the HECK do political candidates get a list of questions to be asked during a televised debate?? I'd like the leader of the free world to be able to think off the cuff, to answer from his or her brain, not something their press secretary has composed for them to read off the teleprompter. Give me a break. If you're smart enough to be President, surely you can think on your own and speak for yourself. Is it the TV networks? We want everything to look pretty? No awkward moments to disturb the viewing audience?
But I digress. The movie was great; a "must see" in my book. And the actors? Wow! Since Estevez couldn't find a Hollywood investor for this movie, he was very limited in what he could pay the actors. His funding came from a Russian investor who set the budget at 5.5 million, though they ended up spending twice that. However, this is nothing compared to what most movies cost to make in Hollywoodland. The actors involved in this movie were payed "scale" which is $2000 a week. Among the actors: Harry Belafonte, Anthony Hopkins, Sharon Stone, Charlie Sheen, Demi Moore, Ashton Kutcher, Lindsay Lohan, William H Macy, Heather Graham, Shia LaBeouf, Helen Hunt, Elijah Wood, Joy Bryant, Nick Cannon, Laurence Fishburne.
Those are some major names that accepted $2000 a week to star in a low budget film.
So, anyhoo. I'm sure I've oversold it now, but its on HBO. Set it to record. I think you'll love it.
Next on my list to watch is Waitress.


2 comments:
Interesting take. I wanted to see this movie, but never got around to it. Maybe I will check it out now. I did see Waitress - not as good as I had hoped, but still worth watching. You can draw your own conclusion about it.
I really enjoyed this movie too. I would tend to agree with a lot of what you said. I must admit that I didn't know much about Bobby, but this definitely prompted me to learn more and talk to a few of my older friends so they could lend me their perspective.
Anyway, I loved Waitress! I was so sad to learn that it was Adrienne Shelley's directorial debut (she wrote it too), but then she was brutally murdered. :( And tell me that you won't be hungry for pie after you watch it, I dare you! =D
Post a Comment