Great blog post by Barbara Loe Fisher:
A No-Brainer: Obey the M.D. with the Needle or My Conscience?
I am so blessed to have a Dr. who supports my decision as a parent in doing what I know is best for my child. She knows the decision I've made is based on the in-depth and continual research I do. There should be more doctors like her, who don't worship at the feet of the FDA and CDC. Doctors who say 'well, maybe I don't know everything there is to know. Maybe there's not just one way to treat this. I'm going to respect this mother, her intelligence, and her intuition.'
After all, its not the Doctors who have to raise a child injured by the vaccines they injected. So, why do so many parents let the Dr. make the choice of if, when, and what to inject into their own child? And you'd be shocked at how many parents are forced out of pediatric practices when they even mention "delayed" or "selective" along with "immunizations". Makes Me So Angry.
I just wish parents would read more on vaccines. I'm not saying every parent should make the decision I made. But, at least read up! Be prepared, be confident in the decision you make. Yes, it is YOUR decision. You have options.
I mean, how many pregnancy books does a woman buy when she's about to have a child? I know I had at least 10 on my nightstand. In addition to those, I should have also been reading about solid foods, hospital procedures, and vaccines - because knowing everything there is to know about preeclampsia won't matter much once the baby is born. I started reading too late and regret a couple of shots Braelyn received when she was a newborn. So with vaccines, as in all things, make a decision based on fact, based on your own knowledge and opinion, not based on someone else's beliefs or education. With all the other responsibilites of being a Physician, I just don't think many Doctors take the time to research something they are taught not to question. They aren't intending to potentially harm a child, they are just are blindly following the CDC, as we are blindly following them. There need to be preexisting conditions that are considered before vaccinating a child according to schedule. We need to lose what Jenny McCarthy calls the "one size fits all" vaccination schedule. For example, is there a history of family members who have common allergens to things such as gelatin, eggs, MSG ? Did you know that those three ingredients are in a number of our vaccines? Was your child born premature? Is there a history of learning disorders or autism in the family? Has your child just recently gotten over an illness? These things need to be considered. Instead, its like "Oh, she's 4 months old now. Lets get those 6 vaccines injected".
Everyone may not be as passionate as I am about this (okay, except Amy - she's probably the only reader I have shaking her head with this in agreement :) and Meredith is probably amused by yet another vaccine rant). I just thought Barbara Loe's entry was great. She is so awesome and a very SMART cookie. She has a vaccine-injured child who is now 30 years old. She's been dedicated to telling people the truth about vaccines for 26 years. Wow.
And to conclude with a quote I feel pertains:
"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic."
-Dresden James
Friday, June 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I know it's hard. It's funny bc I haven't taken Hunter for any well visits since he was 9 months old. My Dr. was good about my choice not to do shots, but I couldn't justify spending $125 (yes, you read that right, $125) for the Dr. to look in his nose and ears.
You really have to pray for your friends that they are doing research and following their instinct for them. Julie- We are the minority and always will be. People think I was crazy bc I made Hunters baby food and I don't give him fast food. I pack his lunch anytime we meet friends out and they think I'm nuts!! The proof is in the pudding, Hunter has been sick one time and never even had a drop of Tylenol!! We don't even have any medicine in this house..it's all natural for us here. I don't worry about SIDS, autism, childhood cancer, etc. I'm not doing anything to promote diseases or sickness in my house, we are preventing it by doing small things such as avoiding vaccines!!
I know I sleep well at night, how many people can say that?
Yes, I was smiling as I read it. Total agreement. I do love your posts on vaccines...you're so passionate. LOVE IT.
I don't have a lot of time to comment b/c of the move but maybe later...
Hello Julie,
You seem to be all for this no vaccine thing. We vaccinate our kids, so we'll have that awkwardness next time we see you.
Also we give our kids tylenol or the generic stuff only because whiskey is too expensive.
However, i do enjoy reading your opinions and they make me think.
Tell Potts I said what's up
James -
Glad I make you think!
I'm not 100% "no vaccines". I have had Brae immunized for Hib and when she's older (like in her preteens) I will do tetanus and consider 1 or 2 other vaccines as well.
I am for greening of our vaccines and creating awareness of the issue. For more in-depth testing, removing the toxins that currently are in them, and administering them in a safer way. I am also a huge believer in allowing a child's immune system to develop before bombarding it with viruses.
There shouldn't be any awkwardness.(I'm assuming you're kidding though) You and Leslie have made the best decision for your family. Everyone is different and does what is right for them. I'm sure there are things we do that you guys wouldn't dare!
And, Braelyn does get Motrin when she needs it. I'm not going to make her suffer through a fever of 102 just b/c its considered modern medicine. :)
sidenote to Gimlin - Amy, is there something natural that works for fever and inflammation? (always learning)
Jay says "Hi" back and he thinks my blog is stupid. Not that what I say is stupid, but just that blogging in general is stupid. He doesn't even read my blog so I could write whatever I wanted to about him I guess. I say all these nice things about him and then have to force him to read it. geez.
Hi Julie- Yes, I have an herbal fever reducer. I'll get you the info on it. Do you have an herbal pharmacy around? We have a great one in Austin where I get my stuff.
Tell James M. I said Hi next time you see him.
Post a Comment