Friday, December 5, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

The Potts' Thanksgiving....in Arkansas

(um, this is probably the cutest picture I've ever googled....)

Every other year we visit my family in Arkansas for Thanksgiving. Its a long ride (about 8 hours) and this is the first time Braelyn has been. We left late on Wednesday night, 8:00 pm. Braelyn slept until we got to Malvern, AR (a halfway point where we decided to stop for the night). She was no longer sleepy when we got to the hotel. She LOVED the hotel. Did not want to go back to sleep. She wanted to ride on the luggage cart, jump on the bed, watch tv...anything but get in her pack-n-play and go to sleep. I think she finally drifted off around 2:00 in the morning.

We woke up the next morning for the second leg of our trip into Hoxie, the SMALL town where my paternal grandparents (Mema & Pepa) live. I think 2,000 people live there, and I'm pretty sure that's an exaggerated number. There are 5 full time officers on their police force and 8 part timers. My dad grew up in Hoxie. Can you imagine? I guess I've become somewhat of a city girl....well, a suburb girl at least. I like my Starbucks on every corner.

Here is my Pepa, reading to his great-grandaughter "Where is Baby's Belly Button". He absolutley adores Braelyn and I felt bad because everytime he would want to hold her she would fuss. She was really just fussy all weekend. But, it seems she was content at least for one story to be read. Just warms my heart.

Arriving around noon, we had a yummy Thanksgiving lunch prepared by Mema, Mom, and Kim. Braelyn got to sit in a high chair that has been around a long time. Pepa (who is in his 80's) used to sit in this very same high chair as a baby. So did my Dad, my sister, brother, and myself.


The rest of the day was just spent visiting and taking care of Braelyn who was not as happy to be in Hoxie as she was the hotel. She was teething and did not like the sounds of the train that come by Mema & Pepa's house about every 10 minutes. Its so close that the house shakes. That effect set us up for a rough night of sleep. Braelyn would wake up with her teeth hurting or from the noise and vibration of the train going by. I admit, I broke out the arsenal of ibuprofen, teething tablets, and orajel. It didn't help much.

The next day we went to visit Mom's side of the family in Jonesboro, Arkansas. A slightly bigger town that some people have actually heard of. I mean, they have a mall and everything!
We ate lunch at Cracker Barrell (yum) and then visited over at Scott (my cousin) and Melanie's (his wife) house. I loved their house. Its set out in the country on something like 7 acres of land. They have 4 dogs. A golden lab, a german shepard, some kind of mutt, and then Rufus - the spoiled dog who lives indoors. The house is so nice inside, too. Has a homey, cabiny sort of feel to it. I would like to own a house like theirs someday, maybe in Colorado or Montana.
We got to visit with cousin Angela (Scott's sister) and her husband Aaron as well. I wish we could have stayed longer and gotten to hang out more, but Braelyn calls the shots these days and she was anxious to get back home we think.

Braelyn and her Mema
With Aunt Kim
Here's Angela and Melanie. Melanie announced that day that she is 8 weeks pregnant. We are so excited for Melanie and Scott and can't wait to meet the little one the next time we visit.
This is my Dad and cousin Scott
And, here's the indoor dog, Rufus, with his ball.



We left Friday night around 6:00 and Jay drove us all the way home. I was all about stopping for the night again and I would drive in the morning, but he wanted to just "get 'on home". So we arrived home at 2 am and crashed. Braelyn did amazing in the car. She slept from 7 pm all the way until 7:00 on Saturday morning. It was wonderful.

It was nice having Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (we decided to take a vacation day) for just the three of us to relax. Here's how I caught Braelyn and her Daddy when I woke up on Sunday morning:

3 comments:

Rachel said...

that last picture is the sweetest!!

Mrs. Bianca said...

awww...

1. glad you're back!
2. loved the Thanksgiving update. Spending time with family is a real treak.
3. Hooray for Braelyn on the car ride back!! That's amazing.
4. I think Mari's teething also. I need some of those teething tablets. Where did you get them?

Alison said...

Glad you had a good time. As far as small towns go, my mom grew up in one where the sign has said the pop. is 221 since I was in the 2nd grade! And I know a bunch of the old people have died, so it's GOT to be wrong. Anyway...it was good to see you back yesterday.